Spark AR Studio -- How to Dissuade Potential Developers

As is normal with my cycle of hobbies, I found myself moving onto a new topic related in some way to computing or programming in a creative medium. Previously, I've experimented in Snapchat's Lens Studio, a program that I find both intuitive to learn and use but also wealthy in options for fine tuning. My experimentation never went much further than testing images on static AR objects but I found the technology intriguing at the time.

A video by Corridor Digital informed me of Instagram's own software that allows you to create AR effects for their platform. Today, I took to the internet to play with their studio software; Spark AR. After downloading and installing, I assumed it would be as easy as opening and getting started much like Lens Studio had been. In Lens Studio, you simply scan a Snapcode to transfer it to your device to test.

When opening Spark AR, I was greeted with the usual privacy agreements and EULA jargon that accompanies software like this and agreed as I do. Following this however was a sign-on page that requires you to use a Facebook account to get access to the studio software. Given that I recently deleted my Facebook account, I turned to Reddit and the likes to find a solution to using the studio without an account but was rather disappointed to find no solution.

My only question to Facebook is: why? Why would you require [potential] developers to sign onto your platform in order to even test software that makes them no money?

Comments

Popular Posts